Saturday, September 3, 2011

Thank You and my First Farm!!!

 
            More progress!!!  I got my desktop up and it survived the bounce and heat and whatever else was going on in that trailer while I was driving!  So, below is the first farm video – simple, but a beginning.

            I’d like to add again my thanks to Patty and Zack for hosting me and not asking me to do too much.  I arrived a bit out of sorts and hadn’t yet acclimated to the heat – it seems they were not hot flashes but just hot!

            I did learn quite a bit in my week there – besides who could fix what on the trailer!  I learned that Patty’s form of natural horsemanship is very similar to the dog whisperer’s approach and her animals are most appreciative.  They all follow her around like one big pack – two mini horses, several chickens, a dog, and Bart the turkey (though he moves much slower than the rest!)

            I also had the information reinforced that working a farm and growing crops is not a one-year prospect.  There is a lot to learn about your soil, what the market wants to buy, and the weather to support it all – which as we all know seems to have a mind of its own this year!



            Also, thanks again to everyone who has been my friend the last 8 years in Crestline and for all your support in getting me out and over here to New Mexico.  I do miss home very much, I am a routine and structure kind of girl and it’s been hard having very little of either.  The mountains and the lake are also very much missed, there is great comfort in the familiar and all the memories that they hold.

            I am also so incredibly grateful to my mom and stepdad.  Without their love, support, and faith who knows what would have happened this last year!  And with my stepdad on speed dial ready to share his trailer and trucking experience as I lumbered across the desert – most needed and appreciated. 

            It’s only been three weeks, but it feels like a lifetime has gone by.  Just a few short hours ago exactly three weeks on that Saturday, I was crying as I said good-bye to my mom and taking off in an over weight trailer and not nearly the experience I would have like to have had in pulling one!  Then it was up a long climb in Indio where I overheated, well, things just went wrong from there!

            But, I did make it to my destination, even if it is a bit south of where I originally planned!  The best laid plans as they say….but with one farm under my belt I feel much better in knowing what to expect and am excited to keep learning as much as I can!

            As a preview here in these parts there is a wolf sanctuary, a 100% off grid earth ship that’s been built, and some spectacular scenery I’ve been promised is close by!  Now that I’ve found the video camera, unpacked the computer, and seemed to have calmed down from the frenzy of the last few weeks – we’ll see what comes next!  I hope you all stay tuned and share what you like with your friends. 

            Much love, gratitude, and blessings,

            Jill

No comments: