Friday, August 26, 2011

August 26, 2011 - Landed and Stranded!


            It’s been a while since I could write or update the blog site!  I’d like to say it was because I was having so much fun I just couldn’t find the time, but not exactly!  To say these last two weeks have been adventure would be an understatement!!!

            The problem with not updating daily is that too much happens and it just doesn’t do it justice to condense it all into a few small words or sentences.  I hope someday I’ll be able to properly write up what I have learned, seen, and lived – it’s hard to believe it’s only been two weeks since I left my safe, comfortable, and cool mountains in Southern California.

            Most of the time I have not had access to cell phone or internet services so that I could upload.  The other issue was when you stress level is through the roof, writing and websites are not a priority.  I did find that if you need to lose a few pounds, just take an adventure that keeps you in a constant state of terror!  The upside, is my work pants are now much looser making it easier to work in them!

            As I write this I am sitting in a new friend’s house who has been an angel in this journey.  I only met her a few days ago, but she has given me a place to sleep, shower, and check on what is happening in the world via the web.  I see the world has not become any less crazy either!

            I am currently in Buckhorn, New Mexico.  It is about 90 minutes north of the 10 highway that runs along the bottom or New Mexico.  My plan had been to stay at a farm a few miles south for a brief visit and then head to the northeast area of New Mexico, but life it seems had other plans.

            My trailer made it all the way here, but a few days into farm #1’s experience (needing its own entry!), I thought I saw a chicken on one of my wheels.  I went to go scoot it off, but instead found that the tire had pushed through the trailer and was now INSIDE the trailer, the chicken was really a piece of plastic that was the last layer between the trailer and the tire.

            Okay, now what?  Clearly I could not drive this way!  With only two buildings in town – one a coffee shop, the other a tire shop – my hope was maybe I could find some help.  The tire shop didn’t have the right set up, but both people there were determined to help me figure out what would.  I got some directions to a man they thought might be able to help me out and off I went. 

            One thing I’ve noticed when others give you directions is don’t assume you have the right ones!  I did what they said and landed at a deserted looking building, knocked, no one home…okay, now what?  So I decided to keep driving, who knows maybe the 1/8 of a mile I was told to go wasn’t quite right?

            And, it wasn’t!  More like a 1/2 mile later I did find a mechanic.  He was new to town and as the gods would have it a great all around gerry rig kind of guy.  It would take four days to find the right part (the downside of living in a remote area), but as of last night he welded the trailer up another two inches and I could drive it…however he has also pointed out several other issues that may make living in it for very long not an option.

            So, here I sit this morning, not sure where I’ll be living tonight or what comes next.  But it just may be I’ll be here a while.  I’ve still got quite a bit to fix in the trailer – mostly the gaping hole over my tire that opens into my trailer.  It’s been a challenge to keep the cats inside and all the rest of the wildlife out – though several locusts did make it inside so far!

            The hardest part has been to let go of what I think this adventure should be – to let go of plans I have made to allow for the possibility of experiencing the plans Spirit wants me to have.  It’s easy to think we know best just because we have made a list of what we should and when we should get there.

            I’ve learned SOOOO much in these last few weeks, I’m still reeling.  Mostly I’ve learned that my spiritual muscles are still in training and when crisis hits (or lack of sleep, food or shelter), my panic button still goes off instead of my faith and trust button.

            I won’t say I am not missing my mountain home or routine.  I’ve had one cup of coffee in two weeks – and my morning coffee to start the day was at the center of how I orchestrated life in the trailer – best laid plans!

            But you’ve got to say, what are the odds that my trailer breaks 1/2 mile from a guy who could fix it?  And while breaking down in Blythe, CA or Casa Grande, AZ were not real options to live there, living here for a while is not a bad thing.

            I am surrounded by hills which have mountains standing behind them.  The air is clean and clear, the clouds incredible, and the people are unbelievably friendly and helpful.  There is not much to complain about this place except the cost of driving my Bronco at 9 mpg to civilization – but civilization is way overrated!

            Once I can get settled and find my camera, I can’t wait to show you around this place!  Now I’m off to find a place to stay, wish me luck!

No comments: