Monday, August 15, 2011

August 15, 2011 - Winding Down in Willcox


            It’s day three and my hopes and dreams are all about a boring trip with no drama!!!!  As write this I am happy to report I made my trip in one piece and the car starts and the cats even have a little room to move around (not that they aren’t still complaining).

            So I called my mom to tell her the good news of my first day of success only to find while my day went well, hers has not!  She fell last night and broke her nose and foot.  What is going on in the world???  I am happy to report she will be fine, but she’s now in a long term recovery mode after having had to handle so much loss with my leaving and her good friend dying recently.

            I am finding that as I drive so much of what I am experiencing are perfect metaphors for life.  As I approach hills (now associated with overheating and breaking down) they all seem to look much steeper right before I climb them than they really are once I’m about halfway up…much like life’s problems which always feel harder before than about halfway through them.

            Also, when trucks and cars pass me, they cause my trailer to sway around.  Much in the same way that people blow through our lives with little or no thought how they are affecting those around them.  The trucks that insist on passing me closely and with the most speed cause me the most chaos.  I send my blessings to the truckers who pass me slowly!

            And, once the trailer starts swinging around, the best course of action is really not to panic or do much.  Also good advice for problems that hit us from behind.  I’ve also learned that if I pay attention to who is driving up behind me, I can avoid most of the sway if I slow down and let them pass on by…..though we’ll see if I remember that the next time a beautiful but broken man shows up in my life!

            The only other big topic for today is that CLEARLY the rest stop designers did NOT have a woman on their planning team!  When you are dragging a trailer, you really need big open spaces you can pull through, so stopping in the city fast food joint to use the facilities isn’t much of an option.  But for those of us who need breaks for our bladders, legs, psyche’s, and older engines – TWO plus hours apart is NOT practical!  Ill admit, I barely made it today to the rest stop.  I did actually take some pictures as it had the most interesting rocks, but not sure if I’ll get those pics up today or not…sorry!

            As I write this I’m now on page four, so I think I’m done for the day.  Today has been the first day I’ve felt real hope as I go forward.  Once I cleared Tucson, the land really opened up and the big clouds filling the sky were stunning to view.  This was a lot more how I pictured this trip going.

            Tomorrow I begin the next phase of this journey.  I’ve put the first farm on a two day delay to go to a campground where a nice man named Norm has offered to help me repack my trailer so it’s loaded properly.  I didn’t really cover that whole issue with the extra and poorly distributed weight that seems to be dragging my back end of the Bronco to the ground….just hoping it gets up the hill tomorrow!

            My goal is to take everything out, try and not die of the embarrassment of how much stuff I brought that I SHOULD NOT have and then put it all back in with the added miracle of making room for me and the cats to sleep in it tomorrow night!  Stay tuned for tomorrow’s adventure!

           

No comments: