Monday, August 15, 2011

August 14, 2011 - Vapor Locked in Casa Grande


            I got ready this morning and took off just as the light barely began to crack the horizon.  It wasn’t cool, but the heat wasn’t as oppressive as the night before.  What had been an empty parking lot was full at 5:00am when I was loading the truck and trailer to get ready to go.  So many people traveling without the drama, what was up?

            Today’s take off went much smoother than yesterday’s.  I made it all the way to my second destination, Casa Grande, Arizona.  It was about 200 miles, the most I think I’ll be able to do on an average day. 

            I’m learning a lot as I go and the death grip I’ve got on the steering wheel really takes a lot of energy and staring at everything around me as I try and not hit it or let it hit me takes up what energy I have left to focus with.  The complaining cats sitting next to me isn’t really helpful either!

            So, jumping ahead to the next drama, I get to my next Motel 6, go to move my truck which is parked really far from my room….and it won’t start.  Really?  I try it a little while later and still again, it won’t start.  Two more panic phone calls to my stepfather and my mechanic (who I am sure were less surprised by more problems than I was) and again they both patiently talked me through what could be wrong and what I could do.  It being Sunday, there wasn’t anyone to try and find, but like yesterday I was no more inclined to make Casa Grande my new home than I was in Blythe!  My truck really needs to work every day if this is going to work out!

            Okay, it turns out that when your gas gets too hot it “vapor locks” – when it cools down it starts, which it did about two hours later as I tried it, ready to faint if it didn’t.  Apparently all these heat related disasters to the cars used to be really common per my mom and stepdad – which spawned the thought later that so much of what we call “progress” really has caused us to pay less attention to what is going on around us.  For example, when it’s ridiculously hot – don’t drive up a hill with a trailer.  Granted I really didn’t have a choice, but I sure could have made better arrangements!

            So after another cool down moment of relief, I was finally able to eat something which was one of my favorite comfort foods – cheese enchiladas, thank you to whoever cooked them!

            Also, two more insights I want to share.  First, NO ONE gets to their dreams alone.  I am SOOOO aware how the slightest support from others makes a huge difference.  Even the check in girl broke the rules a bit by giving me the handicap room because it was the only clean one on the first floor – or she thought I might be handicapped based on the wild and frantic look I presented with!

            Second, remember to bring your compassion to all the men, women, and children who are struggling to protect their families and animals.  When I was causing such distress to my cats – who are my children really – my heart went out to all those who struggle to protect those who they love.  There are SO many people who have so few resources or options to prevent the suffering of those they love, it really made me realize the gifts so many of us could offer in so many ways.

            I am able to slow this trip down and stay in air-conditioned motel rooms as I putt putt across this desert.  But many don’t have these luxuries.  When the family with the girls was watching my cats, their mother mentioned they didn’t have any food and I was SO happy I had brought snacks with me I could share.  By the way, the case of water I had in the car which had seemed foolish at the time turned out to be the best item to bring after all – between sweating out gallons of stress and my radiator overflowing!!!

            Day two is down, and day three is soon to be on the horizon….

No comments: