Friday, February 10, 2012

How do you know you're on the right path?

One of the reasons I chose this lifestyle for this part of my journey was so that I would have flexibility to make changes along the way.  If I had to start my life over, I wanted to make the process easier and not get invested so heavily with leases, jobs, and stuff.  I wanted the freedom to say this isn't working and just pick up and try somewhere else.

As I go and meet more folks, I am aware that even within this type of lifestyle there are a lot of different choices to make and paths to follow.  The time is coming for me to take my next steps so I've been paying attention to the steps others are taking to try and get the most information with the least amount of mistakes!

As with any decision making process, there comes a time when we start asking ourselves if we are on the right path or are we making a mistake and headed down a path that isn't really what we want.  But there in lies the biggest clue - what do each of us want?  What do I want?

I know I am ready for a home base, but listening to others share their adventures makes me question that choice.  I know I like to hide out and listening to others make plans to buy land and start building makes me question that choice.  These have all been options I've considered and hearing others live them out makes me wonder if I want the same thing?

But here is the lesson I'm trying to learn through all of this - what do I want and what path will then unfold to allow that to be?  So often we choose the form before the content.  Or, we decide we want Mr. X no matter what rather than decide what we even want from a relationship first - he may or may not be a good fit.

The same is true for where and how to live. What do I want for my life needs to come before where I and how I will live it.  What I want out of life needs to come before the how - and then I just need to trust what I can't see to unfold to support it.

Fear drives us to try and control the outcomes first to guarantee the process, but life doesn't work that way and this journey is no different.  It's fun to hear about others adventures, but hard to remember to stay focused on the bigger picture to allow the best path to unfold...at least that is what I am trying to remember for today!  Who knows what tomorrow will bring!!!

No comments: