Saturday, December 3, 2011

Figuring out my Food


            One of the biggest challenges on this adventure has been getting clear on how to eat and not spend too much money, make too much mess, and meet at least some of my nutritional needs! 

            I will say I like the challenge - but I am still in the challenge phase more than the solution phase.  But here are a few things I've learned along the way that I think will also apply if the power goes out, you have to go on the road, or life gets a lot simpler for you like it did for me!

            Food has been a big part of my learning curve, so I am coming at this with a pretty lengthy list of "how to" books - I've done vegetarianism, ancient cooking wisdom, camping tips, and a lot more.  But they all have assumed that there is plenty of supply and space and time and money….not so for me right now!

            One of the biggest things I'm getting is that I can't eat as much variety over the course of a day or two.  But, at the same time I can't cook one dish to serve for the next few days either…what to do?  Food is really one meal at a time, so my solution has been how can I use the ingredients I've got in the most number of ways over the shortest period of time?

            Another thing I'm getting is the whole three meals a day or if you're into the grazing concept - 5-7 meals a day is not happening.  Mostly because I hate doing the dishes that often!  Instead, I've been looking at how can I increase the nutritional density of my meal - or, more calories and nutrition in one sitting.

            So, for example - oatmeal for breakfast has taken on a whole new look, taste, and texture!  While there is not an exact recipe I go by, here's a list of what I'm now adding so I get the most bang for my buck:

  • Oats - soaked overnight
  • Raisins - boiled in the water before I add the oats

Then, once it's cooked I add:

  • Walnuts - Omega's and other good stuff
  • Wheat Germ - Vitamin E, fiber, and more
  • Cinnamon - good for insulin regulation and taste
  • Butter - fats, calories, and texture - and if you splurge on grass fed/organic - good stuff!
  • Brown Sugar - because I like the taste okay?

            I've let the idea of adding milk go - though you could add dried milk and more water or just add milk if you have access to it.  But in truth, I don't miss the milk at all.

            I've been eating this a little later in the day - after coffee, getting dressed, checking the internet to see if the world has changed yet, and then a general redistribution of my stuff for the day things I do.  But it works pretty well, keeps me pretty satisfied, and tastes really, really good!

            The butter is the only thing that can really spoil, but it takes a while and if I just focus on food that uses butter, I eat it fast enough to not waste it before it goes bad.  The rule of thumb is 30 days for butter, but I've done a lot longer with no problems.

            It's been a shift because food has also been my comfort, my friend, and baking and cooking a real pleasure for me - the restrictions and changes have been an adjustment.  But part of getting simpler is also letting go of perceived needs - the idea I need to eat at the same time each day, three times a day, and in specific ways. 

            We've been taught that there are a lot of food rules if we want to be happy - but as we go on this particular subject I hope you'll learn as I have that from the place of our spirit, it's just not true…but that is all for another day!

2 comments:

Teri said...

When I had to work 12 hour days without much of a break, I would make sure to eat oatmeal for breakfast - the old fashioned kind - and I would also add some fruit or flax or something to it.

jill said...

I agree flax is good for you - but I don't always like the way it tastes! But the add ins are endless! Thanks Teri for your comments here!