Monday, December 20, 2010

Endless Rain....

Just last week the weather was so stunning it was hard to believe it was winter!  This week it's hard to believe last week ever happened.  It's rained for several days in a row now and there are several more to go.  Why is it so hard to focus when the weather is bad?

I suppose the first obvious statement is don't judge the weather, so okay.  I'll re-ask that question...why is it so hard to focus on what I want when the sky is dark, the clouds are surrounding my home so it looks and feels like I am isolated from everyone else, and the constant drips of the drops is driving me crazy???

As I think about it now (though ironically  not my intention when I sat down a few minutes ago) is that this kind of weather is an exact representation of why it can be so hard to focus on thought of what I want once I've started thinking about what I don't want.  The more I focus on the ideas surrounding what I don't want, the darker the thoughts, the denser the clouds, and the more frequent and persistent the thoughts drop on my mind.

Huh....So, this rain is either showing me who I am and where my mind is right now or it is providing me with an opportunity to strengthen my ability to think and focus no matter what is going on around me.

I often liken training the mind to training for the marathon...these last few days of rain are pushing me into marathon training territory!  Will I rise to the challenge or pull a mental muscle or worse, just quit and give up?

I'll go with the second choice because for the first time this morning in a very, very long time, I actually was able to acknowledge what I really wanted and not try and find new and improved ways to sabotage it!  Well, maybe not directly, the rain could very well derail my many focused efforts from this morning!

When we know what we want and find the freedom, relief, and joy that comes along with the right track of knowing - it's not surprising to see a little rain fall around us.  Who doesn't have some residual doubts lurking around in a cloud or two?  So Yea!!!!  What's a little rain on such a grand day?

My parade will still go on!

Jill
jillelizabeth.net

No comments: