Saturday, July 24, 2010

Defining Love

One of the problems I have with so much of the information that is talked about in the world is its generalities and abstract qualities.  Using the word "LOVE" is probably one of the most abused and misused words and ideas when it comes to mis-information.

We say we the word love as a way of describing how we feel about another person, thing or event.  But if you look to spiritual definitions of the word love, it is described as indescribable, so how do we know how to actually use it accurately?

This has been an ongoing area of study and seeking for me, but it rose again this morning as I did my journal and prayer work.  How many of us say or hear the idea that there is only really love or fear in our world?  Again, it seems obvious but very abstract.  And when things get too abstract they lose any value to us individually.  How can you change or learn from something you don't really understand?

My stuck point was that no matter what I believe, do or want, the basis of how and what I get boils down to "do I love myself to create something good or do I hate myself and make something not so good?"   Where I get stuck is that deep within me there is still the belief that for me, love=pain.  So to love my self means things are going to get much worse.

It doesn't matter where or why those insane beliefs are born within our minds, all that matters is that we acknowledge them so we can let them go.  I can say logically that love should never equal pain, suffering or loss.  If it does, it's not real love.  But if logic was enough to fix me, well, all this struggle would have been over a long time ago!

As my world is shaking apart I am aware that I really need (duh!) to get over this old and useless belief that love = pain.  I'm tired of it, but even that is not enough.  I've learned over the years I have an incredible tolerance for pain.  That may have been a badge of honor at one time, but now it's just tiring and ineffective for what lies before me!

What is love?  It is acceptance of self, no matter what.  It is acceptance of others, no matter what.  Love can't have exceptions, or it's not love.  Love is really the power that holds this Universe together.  It is the Creative Force that we know as Life.  Trying to force it to conform to a label or definition that is not real in its world (like romantic love or conditional love) only causes us pain.  Love itself never changes.  Only we can deny it, it is there always and forever, unchanged, perfect and accepting of us.

So why do we reject or deny it for ourselves?  There is no answer that applies to us all.  But the solution does.  We just need to make a new decision for ourselves, that love is good and that we are that love.  Simple, but not always easy.  However, it's free, available 24/7 and waiting for us to accept it.  What more could you ask for?

Jill
jillelizabeth.net



No comments: