Friday, November 4, 2011

I Had a Trailer in New Mexico....

             Well, my title is not quite as romantic as "I had a farm in Africa," but I watched the movie - again - "Out of Africa" and I was struck by how much of my own journey I am trying to create that ties in with this movie.  Of course, no Robert Redford has crossed my path - yet - but what he and so much more in the movie represent has.

            While there's too much to cover in one blog posting, I'll go with the highlights for today.  Love I believe is the theme, and what could be more important to speak of?  Not romantic love, for we've been conditioned to believe there is more than one type of love, but just love - as it is in Truth and as it is in its completed state.

            What Sydney Pollack so brilliantly captured in this film was love - for each other, for the land, for life, for freedom.  But the love only faltered when it in itself was not seen as enough - when that love was put into a form and the essence of its content was then lost.

            We try and control what we think we love by labels and boundaries and rules.  But love is not any of those things, for without freedom there can be no love.  Love cannot be controlled by what we fear we won't get, but only truly received by what we trust we will get.

            Love was most beautifully expressed when the majesty of Africa was shared - flying across its land, working among its people, and sleeping under its stars.  None of these things were felt alone, it was in their shared experience that love found its home in everyone's heart.

            But the moment that best stands out for me is when Dennis washes Karen's hair - it was the director who wanted to create a scene in which intimacy was shared, but not sexual in nature.  Love is not about sex.  Sex is just one way to communicate love, but only one.  Love is something that is given not to receive, but only for the joy in giving it away freely - for only then can it be received in the same measure.

            It is wanting to take that shared moment of love and put a name on it, a boundary around it, and a demand to it that it shatters and becomes what it is not - obligation.  Love is Freedom, as is Creation, Joy, Life, and the Truth.

            As I spoke of yesterday, it has been my goal to share this journey and today in my time with God, I asked again how to share this Love as it continues to grow within me with the world around me.

            I find it ironic in my own life and others that while we all crave and seek a love without condition or expectation - we have almost no ability to allow it in to our lives.  One of the reasons I so love being in nature and with animals is that there are no rules about love and no limits - I am free to just feel what I feel and share it with no fear it will be misunderstood or rejected or laughed at.  It is free to expand between us and not be asked to retreat and hide until a later date when the fears will be less and the rules no longer needed.

            I will never have a farm in Africa, but I do have the ability to love this life and this adventure, and to rejoice with all those that have come into my life to share themselves with me. 

            We speak of love all the time within our cultural and spiritual traditions, but rarely do we practice the tenants by which it exists.  Love lets in and it also lets go - I want the faith and trust to be able to do both, standing still when that is all that another is ready for or walking with them when they seek to share more.

            With all that said, I am still hoping for my own intimate moment that may not be getting my hair washed by the river, but I'm open to that as are all women - men may want to take note of this!

No comments: