Monday, February 28, 2011

The Truth in Shoveling Snow

            I woke up this morning to find the beauty of yesterday still surrounding me in my tiny cabin in the mountains.  The sun shines over the ridge behind my home to light up the mountain on the other side, a morning ritual I have come to cherish as I await the brief glimpse of pink, blue, and gold as the rays touch the mountain tip.
The view from my window

            I am here, warm, safe, protected.  The day begins with a prayer and the understanding I have worked so hard to find, that the truth of life is in the simplest and smallest of moments and thoughts.  I feel the love and the blessing I have sought for all these years and the desire to share it is renewed again.

            But as I sit here now, the day more in motion than not, reviewing the realities that others are living with war, crisis, murder, pain, suffering….my tiny moment gets lost.  How do you share what appears to be so very small when the rest of the world is focused on what seems to be so very big?  How do you convey that the big only got big because the small was swept aside and became lost of its own importance?

            I have spent the last two days shoveling the snow from my drive on the hopes that someday I can unbury my car and leave my tiny home.  Each shovel is one small act that on its own means very little.  I began when there was no ground to be seen or path to be found.  I just began in a random spot to lift the snow and move it away from where I stood.

            There is a sense of satisfaction that can't be described but only felt when you have worked hard and can now see your accomplishments.  The snow is not gone, but I can see my progress.  The fatigue in my muscles tells me I have accomplished a worthy goal and they feel satisfied to have exerted so much effort. 

25% done.....
            As I stood with my shovel and looked upon a vast amount of snow, it felt overwhelming…how could I ever get through all of this snow?  But I began, one small scoop at a time.  It has taken me many hours to do what a machine could do in a few minutes or several men could do it just a few more for a few dollars.  But the difference would be that I had not cleared my own snow, I had not felt my own muscles move, and I had not created my own space to now move freely in.

            Some would say I have taken the harder path - but I feel more like the turtle than the rabbit, slow and steady will win my race - no one else's.  What is the value of our time to us really?  No money is made by shoveling my snow myself, but the value to me is greater than anything a dollar can buy. 

            We are so focused on saving time and money to get more time and money, but what are we really seeking?  What value do we search for?  What goal is it that we seek to find that could be greater than the one we have here waiting for us in every tiny moment and simple thought?

Lilith will share her love too!
            There is no war nor murder that will bring us an answer that we think we seek.  There is no distraction that will cure the pain and suffering we so desperately as a society seek to avoid.  But how does one person tell another this?  It can only be discovered on one's own, with the infinity of time to find what is waiting for us in plain sight.

            I want to share with you what I have found - the truth as love and simple blessing that it is.  But it is not glamorous or sexy or elusive or expensive or dangerous.  It just waits, patiently and certainly for anyone who is ready to find it.  And so too will I wait, shoveling my snow, writing my words, and sharing my truth so that when anyone is ready to share the love and blessings with me, I will be here - patiently waiting for you.

jill

No comments: